Ishaq Y. Syed, MD grew up in Cleveland, Ohio. He is board certified in orthopedic surgery and fellowship trained in spine surgery. He received his undergraduate degree in Biomedical Engineering at Johns Hopkins University where he graduated as a member of Tau Beta Pi. He received his medical degree from Case Western Reserve University. He went on to complete his residency at Rush University Medical Center and his fellowship in spine surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Dr. Syed actively participates in teaching of orthopedic residents and spine research. He performs both traditional and minimally invasive surgeries. He specializes in the treatment of spinal conditions including (but not limited to): Arthritis of the spine (osteoarthritis, rheumatoid) Degenerative disc disease Herniated discs Pinched nerves/Sciatica/Radiculopathy Spinal deformities (scoliosis, kyphosis) Traumatic injury to the spine Spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal) Spine tumors Outside of work, Dr. Syed enjoys spending time with his wife and two daughters. He also enjoys traveling, skiing, and recreational auto racing. Dr. Syed accepts most insurance plans and is currently accepting new patients.
Medical School:Case Western Reserve University, Oh (2004)
Residency:Orthopedic Surgery, Rush Presbyterian St Lukes' Hosp (2009)
Internship:Orthopedic Surgery, Wayne State University (2006)
Education:Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (2004)
Fellowship:University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (2010)
Orthopaedic Surgery - American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Fellow of American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
- Syed IY, Davis BL. Obesity and osteoarthritis of the knee: hypotheses concerning the relationship between ground reaction and quadriceps fatigue in long duration walking. Med Hypotheses 2000;54(20);182-185.
- Gustafson KJ, Neville J, Syed IY, Davis JA, Pinault GCJ, Jean-Claude J, Triolo RJ. Fascicular anatomy of the human femoral nerve: implications for standing neural prostheses utilizing nerve cuff electrodes. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2009;46(7):973-84
- Dumonski, ML, Syed IS, Cahill PJ, Shahkarami A, An HS, Goldberg EJ, Phillips, FM. A Comparison of Fusion Rates with Fresh-Frozen or Freeze-Dried Allograft in Anterior Cervical Diskectomy and Fusion Americal Academic of Orthopaedic Surgery, Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, podium presentation, 2009.
- Syed IY, Brasher A, Hammerberg K, Sturm P. The effect of proximal fixation on the development of functional kyphosis in neuromuscular scoliosis following segmental posterior spinal instrumentation and fusion. The Spine Journal 9(2009) IS-205S.
- Woods BI, Hohl JB, Hartman R, Braly B, Syed IY, Lee JY. Mortality in Elderly Patients following Operative and Non-operative Management of Odontoid Fractures. Podium Presentation AAOS 2010.
- Liu A, Sun D, Rodriguez A, Birkedal JP, Syed IY, Hsu W. The Effect of Vancomycin Powder Usage on Early Post-operative Infection Rates in Adult Lumbar Fusion. Accepted for poster presentation at the 82nd AANS Annual Scientific Meeting, 2014 Apr 4-9. [Poster]
- Walters J, Birkedal J, Syed IY. Type II Odontoid Fractures: Predictive Factors for Operative versus Non-operative Treatment. Podium Presentation + Abstract, Cervical Spine Research Society, 2014.
- Ross CL, Syed I, Smith TL, Harrison BS. The regenerative effects of electromagnetic field on spinal cord injury. Electromagn Biol 2017;36(1):74-87.
- Rizkalla JM, Holderread B, Syed IY. Brucella Spondylodiscitis: A case report and review of the literature. BUMC Proceedings. March 2020.
- Rizkalla JM, Dauglas S, Nimmons SJB, Syed IY. “Superior Sulcus Tumor Disguised as Cervical Radiculopathy with Metastasis to Brachial Plexus: A Case Report.” BUMC Proceedings. 2019 Aug 20;32(4):582-583.
- Rizkalla JM, Melton C, sanders A, Dauglas S, Syed IY. Preoperative Narcotic Utilization and its Association with Post-Operative Narcotic Use in elective Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion: A Retrospective Comparative Analysis. (submitted, World Journal of Orthopedics)
- Rizkalla JM, Melton C, sanders A, Dauglas S, Syed IY. Preoperative Narcotic Utilization and its Association with Post-Operative Narcotic Use in elective Posterior Cervical Decompression and Fusion: A Retrospective Comparative Analysis. (pending acceptance)
- Rizkalla JM, Melton C, sanders A, Dauglas S, Syed IY. Preoperative Narcotic Utilization and its Association with Post-Operative Narcotic Use in traumatic versus elective cervical surgery: A Retrospective Comparative Analysis. (pending acceptance)
- Nimmons S, Rizkalla J, Solis J, Syed IY. Design and Retrospective Application of a Spine Trauma DVT Prophylaxis Protocol on Level 1 Trauma Center Patient Database. (submitted Global Spine Journal)
- Rizkalla, James; Holderread, Brendan; Hotchkiss, William; Clavenna, Andrew; Dossett, Andrew; Syed, IY. Instagram and Spine Fusion: An Analysis of Social Media and its Relationship to Patient Perception of Surgery. (submitted Global Spine Journal).
- Rizkalla JM, Holderread B, Jonathon L, Mollabashy A, Syed IY. Giant Cell Tumor of the Sacrum. BUMC Proceedings. (accepted, pending publication).
- Rizkalla JM, Hotchkiss W, Clavenna A, Dossett A, Syed IY. Triaging Spine Surgery and treating during Covid-19 Pandemic. Journal of Orthopaedics. May 2020 (accepted).
- Syed IY, Virkus WW. Tricks for nailing proximal and distal tibial fractures.
- Syed IY, An HS: Cervical Myelopathy: Meaning of Magnetic Resonance Signal Changes. Vaccaro AR, Eck JC. Controversies in Spine Surgery: Best Evidence Recommendation. Thieme, New York, pp117-125, 2010.
- Syed IY, Hohl JB, Kang J. Lumbar spondylolisthesis Musculoskeletal Examination of the Spine: Make the Complex Simple. Rihn JA, Harris EB. . SLACK Incorporated. ISBN: 10 1-55642-996-7. 2011. Chapter 11.
- Hohl JB, Syed IY, Lee JY. Physical Examination of the cervical spine. Musculoskeletal Examination of the Spine: Make the Complex Simple. Rihn JA, Harris EB. SLACK Incorporated. ISBN: 10 1-55642-996-7. 2011. Chapter 1.
- Syed IY, Ali MH, Nassr A, Lee JY. Cervical Spine Imaging in Trauma. The Cervical Spine 5th Edition: The Cervical Spine Research Society Editorial Committee, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2012. P 1512-19.
- Syed IY, Wu E, Nassr A, Lee JY. Management of cervical facet dislocation. Fehlings M, Vaccaro, Boakye(ed). In: Essentials of Spinal Cord Injury. Thieme. October 2012. Chapter 25: pp 308-319.
- Syed IY, Woods BI, Lee JY. Lumbar arthroplasty. In: Handbook of Spine Surgery. Baaj AA. Thieme. 2012. Chapter 60.
- Syed IY, Woods BI, Lee JY. Spinal imaging. In: Handbook of Spine Surgery. Baaj AA. Thieme. 2012. Chapter 8.
- Braly B, Chen AF, Syed IY, Lee JY. Cervical Whiplash. In: Decision Making in Spinal Care, Second Edition. Anderson GD, Vaccaro AR. Thieme. September 2012. Chapter 23. Pp165-170.
- Leckie S, Syed IY, Lee JY. Posterior C1-C2 Fusion Techniques: Harms Technique and Magerl Technique. Operative Techniques: Spine Surgery, 2nd Edition. Vaccaro and Baron (Ed). Saunders Elsevier, May 2012. Chapter 11. Pp 77-100
- Braly BA, Syed IY, Woods BI, Lee JY. Lumbosacral Injuries: Diagnosis and Treatment. In: Lumbo-Sacral and Pelvic Procedures. Kim DH, Vaccaro AR, Whang PG, Sang DK, Se-Hoon K (ed). CRC Press. Dec 20, 2013. Chapter 8. Pp 117-157.
In: Curbside Consultation in Fracture Management. ISBN: 978-1-55642-829-6, SLACK Incorporated, 2008.
- Baylor Scott & White Heart and Vascular Hospital - Dallas
- Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation - Dallas
- Baylor University Medical Center, part of Baylor Scott & White Health
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - McKinney
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - Plano
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - Uptown
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - Frisco
- Languages : Urdu, Hindi, English
- Member and past sectary of Medical Executive Committee Baylor Scott and White at Frisco
- Spine Center of excellence co-chair at Baylor Scott and White at Uptown
- Patient Safety advocate Baylor Scott and White at Uptown
- Block time committee member Baylor Scott and White at Uptown
- Health Texas Physician Network Compliance Committee Member